Freezer Buying Tips
Helpful criteria for finding the right freezer for your needs:
1. Determine your capacity requirements and storing space.
- Do you shop once a month stocking up on supplies or perhaps once per week?
- Do you live alone or have a large family?
- How far is the nearest shopping or do you have to buy in bulk.
- How much space do you have to put the freezer?
- Can your space accomodate an upright freezer with a swining door or would a chest variety with a lift up lid be a better choice?
2. For energy savings - chest versus uprights?
- Choose a freezer that is EnergyStar® rated, or has the best energy rating.
- Chest type usually have more capacity and can accommodate odd sized food items, but foods are difficult to get at, and can be forgotten in the bottom.
- Chest type's lower profile will not obscure windows, but take up more floor space.
- Chest style are more energy efficient, as they are manual defrost.
- Chest freezers are usually priced lower than uprights.
3. Look for the style and special features you want - price will adjust accordingly.
- Stainless steel or cabinet coordinating exteriors
- Special features might include locking system, adjustable shelves, a wire
- Storage basket, or an interior light.